Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spring 2011

The new term begins at my school today.  There are several inches of snow on the ground, and it is quite cool.  I hope to have students in the classroom for my one class today.

After class, though, I am going to go do my own studying.  Remaining immersed in the experience of being a student is valuable for a teacher, as it fosters a continued understanding of what students face.

So, students, insofar as being in the classroom goes, I know what you are going through.  The rest, though, will depend on other things.

Addendum
As of 11:26 this morning, there were only three students enrolled in the class I am teaching.  It is disheartening to see such a low number at this point.  Given the weather--which will legitimately prevent some students from being able to attend today--and the fact that there is no Wednesday class next week due to scheduling oddities caused by the holiday,* it can also be problematic: it will be two weeks before I see this class again.

*I am not saying that the holiday needs to not exist.  It does, however, present difficulties in establishing comfortable classroom routines.

No comments:

Post a Comment